Published: November 30, 2020
Governor Ralph Northam ‘81 has appointed E. Sean Lanier ’94 to the VMI Board of Visitors.
Lanier, a U.S. Army veteran, is the founder and executive director of Resolve Solutions Inc., an Alexandria, Virginia nonprofit that provides financial and educational college preparatory support to underserved populations pursuing careers in military and/or civilian service. Prior to founding Resolve Solutions, Lanier was a Realtor with Long & Foster Companies.
“I am extremely humbled to be asked to continue to serve the Commonwealth of Virginia as a citizen-soldier,” said Lanier of his appointment. “VMI was a life-changing opportunity for me, and I look forward to giving back to an institution which enabled me to be what I resolved to be.”
Lanier’s 24-year Army career included 11 years spent in overseas deployments, during which time he learned five languages. He is a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom.
Lanier served as a member of the VMI Alumni Association Board of Directors and is active in his local alumni chapter. He is a:
- Life member of Alpha Phi Alpha, Fraternity Incorporated
- President, Petersburg Public Schools, Career & Technical Education Advisory Board
- Field Force Liaison, United States Military Academy at West Point
- The ROCKS INC – National Board Volunteer
- Past President, Rotary Club of Springfield, Rotary International
- A past board member of Make a Difference 2020, a nonprofit that encourages youth in low-income communities to seek STEM careers.
Lanier came to VMI from his native Petersburg, Virginia. As a cadet, he majored in history and was a member of the Promaji Club and earned all-conference honors for his efforts with several Southern Conference Championship winning track and field teams. In addition to his degree from VMI, Lanier holds a master of science in business, supply chain management and logistics, from the University of Kansas.