If you have any questions, please contact Cheryl Cathcart, director of human resources, at email@example.com or 800-444-1839 ext. 229.
For a comprehensive list of all job openings at Virginia Military Institute, go to the VMI Jobs page.
Summary of Position
The Financial Accountant provides accounting expertise in ensuring financial transactions are properly recorded and presented through accurate and timely reporting, reporting to the Chief Financial Officer. This is an exempt full-time position.
Essential Duties, Responsibilities and Qualifications
This job description is not all inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential duties of the position. Other duties, responsibilities and tasks may be assigned by the Chief Financial Officer.
- Ensure the integrity of accounting information and reconcile any financial discrepancies
- Conduct month-end, quarter-end, and year-end close processes to verify all entries have been created and posted ensuring completeness, accuracy, and cohesiveness of information
- Supervise Accounts Payable
- Assist with preparation of financial statements for annual audit
- Assist with preparation and monitoring of operating budgets
- Reconcile trust and investments accounts with outside organizations
- Must be able to think analytically, exercise good judgement, take initiative, function independently with limited supervision and work in close collaboration with others.
- A demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage multiple assignments and perform a variety of tasks in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines and consistently follow up on details.
- The ideal person for this position will be a team player, professional, upbeat, energetic, consistently use tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to accept supervision and work with a team of co-workers.
- Five or more years of accounting experience; thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Preference with Blackbaud NXT experience
This is a full-time position with a generous benefits package, retirement plan and a competitive starting annual salary based on qualifications and experience.
The VMI Alumni Agencies inform, engage, and inspire VMI alumni, family, and friends to support the Institute.Founded in 1839, Virginia Military Institute is the nation’s oldest state-supported military college. Consistently ranked among the top public liberal arts colleges in the nation by both U.S. News and World Report and Money magazine, VMI offers Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in 14 majors. It is the mission of VMI to prepare honorable and dedicated leaders ready for the challenges of 21st-century citizenship. VMI adjoins the campus of Washington and Lee University, the nation’s ninth-oldest institution of higher learning. Both colleges are within walking distance to historic downtown Lexington, a popular tourist destination. The town of Lexington has approximately 7,000 residents.
For more information about the VMI Alumni Agencies, please visit our website at http://www.vmialumni.org.
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter, resume and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Financial Accountant.” Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, those received by 8 AM EST February 15, are assured full consideration.
VMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against anyone because of race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, age, or disability.