The VMI Alumni Agencies supports the Donor Bill of Rights as adopted by CASE, AAFRC, AHP and AFT, which states that philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good.
To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the Foundation’s causes they are asked to support, we declare that all donors have these rights:
1. To be informed of the Agencies’ mission, of the way the Foundation intends to use donated resources and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
2. To be informed of the identity of those serving on the Agencies’ governing board and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
3. To have access to the Agencies’ most recent financial statements.
4. To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
5. To receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition.
6. To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
7. To expect that all relationships with individuals representing the Agencies will be professional in nature.
8. To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the Agencies or hired solicitors.
9. To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.