Published: July 8, 2021
The Virginia Military Institute Board of Visitors Executive Committee met today and voted to provide the governor, General Assembly, and the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia quarterly reports detailing VMI’s progress on diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts. VMI’s first report to the Commonwealth will be provided no later than January 2022 and will continue for three years.
“It is important for VMI to continue its efforts to ensure the Institute is a place to learn, train, and work in an environment that is safe and inclusive for all,” said Tom Watjen ’76, who assumed the role of president of the Board of Visitors as of July 1, 2021. “The Commonwealth of Virginia is an important partner in this process. These quarterly reports will further demonstrate VMI’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion while maintaining our focus on our mission and purpose.”
In addition to committing to quarterly reporting, the Executive Committee adopted three diversity, equity, and inclusion principles as the Board of Visitors continues its oversight responsibilities of the Institute:
- To create and foster a more diverse VMI.
- Our efforts will be focused on ensuring VMI mirrors the outside world in which our cadets will enter and the one in which our entire VMI family interacts.
- To create and foster a safe, equitable, and inclusive environment for all on post.
- Our Honor Code and Cadet Code of Conduct will be clear as to the behaviors expected, and the consequences of failing to adhere to these codes.
- To assure that we maintain a safe, rigorous process for escalating issues which have even the potential to violate the code.
- The integrity of our reporting process and the people who support it should never be in doubt.
During the meeting, the Executive Committee also discussed matters of committee leadership and composition. The next meeting of the VMI Board of Visitors is scheduled for Sept. 9-11, 2021.
The BOV Executive Committee also reviewed the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Review: 30 Day Report.