Down 43-24 at the half, the VMI basketball team pulled within 13 points with seven minutes remaining in the game but could not get closer as No. 7 University of Tennessee – Chattanooga defeated No. 10 VMI by a 92-72 score at Harrah’s Cherokee Center in Asheville, North Carolina, March 3, 2023.
The highlight for the Keydets came early in the opening half when senior Sean Conway ’23 converted his first free throw of the game to earn his 1,000th career point at VMI.
By hitting the 1,000-point benchmark, he became the 45th Keydet in program history to attain the milestone. He ended the game with seven points, finishing a stellar VMI career that earned 1,006 points over the past four seasons.
The loss completes the 2022–23 campaign for the Keydets.
- VMI pulled within 16 points with 7:58 to play as they went into the third media timeout of the second half with some momentum
- A big three-pointer by Tyler Houser ’26, center, pulled the Keydets within 13 points late in the second half as VMI fought to cut into the deficit
- Tony Felder ’26 finished with a team-high 19 points, just three short of his season high
- Asher Woods ’26 logged the second-most points of the night with 16 points
- Rickey Bradley Jr. ’26 was the third VMI player to finish in double figures, ending with 14
- Chattanooga was led by former Keydet Jake Stephens ’22, who scored 21 points on nine buckets
- UTC reserve Christion Courseault also finished with 21 points as he did not miss a shot attempt by going 9-9 in the Mocs’ win
- Demetrius Davis and Sam Alexis also ended up in double figures with 10 apiece for Chattanooga
Editor’s Note: This story first appeared at vmikeydets.com.