The VMI baseball team improved to 7-0 this season at home in Gray-Minor Stadium with a doubleheader sweep of Coppin State University 8-3 (seventh inning) and 6-4 March 5, 2023.
The Keydets got ahead early in each game, using big innings to take control of both contests. VMI scored four in the second inning and three in the third of the opener as they cruised to the win. The Keydets again got ahead quickly in the nightcap after a three-run first and a two-run third; however, Coppin State rallied late. The Eagles loaded the bases in the ninth inning, trailing by just two with two outs, but Jaxon Lloyd ’25 struck out the final batter to earn his first save of the year.
- Zac Morris ’23 homered in the second game and had three hits and four RBI on the day
- Grayson Fitzwater ’26 had four hits on the day, with two doubles
- Ty Swaim ’24 had four extra-base hits on the day, with a triple and three doubles
- Cole Garrett ’24 went 3-3 in the nightcap with two RBI
- Cole Jenkins ’24 hit a two-run home run in the second game
- Brett Cook ’24 had three hits and three stolen bases
- Roberto Velasquez ’26 went 2 2/3 scoreless innings in the first game with four strikeouts to earn the win. Jack Thompson ’24 didn’t allow a hit in two innings of relief, and Derrell Fletcher-Knight ’26 concluded the game with a scoreless seventh inning
- Holden Wilkerson ’25 didn’t allow an earned run in the nightcap to take the win, striking out five over 2 2/3 innings
Editor’s note: This story first appeared at vmikeydets.com.