The Graphic Designer/Photographer is responsible for creating high-quality marketing and communications materials in support of the VMI Alumni Agencies mission. The ideal candidate will be capable of seeing the “bigger picture” of brand consistency within marketing collateral that ensures dependable, clean, and easily consumed content.The position involves successful management of multiple projects simultaneously, collaborating with key stakeholders, and communicating final designs to fellow staff with the goal of maintaining quality and consistency across all mediums. This role will also provide photography support for the Alumni Agencies events throughout the year.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Primary duties consist of layout, design, and illustration of various graphics projects, including a variety of publications, advertisements, flyers, posters, invitations, signs, maps, business cards, social media posts, and various administrative and marketing materials.
- Responsible for creating high-level brochures and annual reports for key stakeholders.
- Leverage creative and marketing knowledge to produce original design work.
- Assist with magazine page layout using Adobe InDesign.
- Provide oversight and direction to vendors/freelancers to assure the quality of the project and consistency with VMI Alumni Agencies branding standards.
- Prepares files for use by internal and external printers. Knowledge of and experience with preparing files for four-color process and spot color offset printing.
- Provide oversight and direction on the correct and appropriate use of Alumni Agencies branding and act as the liaison with VMI on branding and logo issues.
- Provide photo editing using Adobe Photoshop.
- Shoots high-quality digital photographs on an as-needed basis with proficiency in photo editing, color correction, sizing, and lighting techniques.
- Assist with proofreading and editing, which requires knowledge of current AP Style.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of communications and marketing best practices
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with donors, staff, faculty, and students
- Motivated and dedicated with meticulous attention to detail
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Able to handle multiple projects with differing timelines and priorities
- Strong technology skills, especially Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator, as well as Microsoft Office Suite
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, communications, marketing, or a related field preferred; relevant experience may be substituted for a degree
- Professional experience working with a DSLR camera
Please provide resume, cover letter, and 3-5 samples of previous graphic design work and photography ability.
This is a full-time position with a generous benefits package, retirement plan, and a competitive annual salary based on qualifications and experience.
The VMI Alumni Agencies informs, engages, and inspires VMI alumni, family, and friends to support the Institute.
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter, resume and 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Graphic Designer/Photography.” Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, those received by 8 a.m. EDT December 15, 2022, are assured full consideration.
VMI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against anyone because of race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, age, or disability.