For many reasons, private financial support for VMI is a necessity, not a luxury.
- A VMI education is an extrarordinary one that combines a rigorous academic program, a demanding co-curriculum, and a wide range of opportunities for athletic competition.
- During the past decade, improvements in its academic program have earned VMI a national reputation for academic excellence.
- Under Virginia law, all the intercollegiate athletic programs of public colleges and universities must be financially self-supporting.
- Although the Institute is a state-supported college, its support from the Commonwealth of Virginia does not constitute even a plurality of VMI's annual revenues. In the current fiscal year (2009-2010), 23.5% of VMI's revenues of $64 million come from the state.
- In contrast, this year, private financial support accounts for more than $20.4 million or 32% of VMI's revenues. Of that, the VMI Alumni Agencies give more than $19 million.
Annually, the generosity of VMI's alumni, parents, friends, faculty, and staff—coupled with the hard work, dedicated management, and diligent stewardship of the trustees, officers, and staffs of the VMI Alumni Association, VMI Foundation, and the VMI Keydet Club—generates the private financial support that allows the Institute to offer a superior undergraduate education that prepares cadets to for professional success, active citizenship, selfless service, and purposeful leadership.
If you are not participating in this noble effort, please consider joining it now. Your support will help the Institute sustain its current success and enjoy an ever-brighter future.